Friday, February 22, 2008

Family Traditions

My family, as a folk group, is the first to come to mind in relating to traditions. Over the years, various traditions have been established, changed, disappeared, and even reappeared.

Longstanding Tradition that is Disappearing with Time

Not having children, my husband and I have doted on my brother’s two sons, Hugh and John since they were very young. They have always lived in Houston, Texas and we have lived all over the United States. Over the years, school Spring Break has been a week reserved for the boys to come visit wherever we resided. It was a time for their “favorite” aunt and uncle to reconnect with them. We learned what was important to them, spoiled them, exposed them to experiences they might never have had otherwise, and became confidantes as they shared personal issues and asked for our advice. We shared adventures, new and fun things that we hoped would serve to be lasting memories for the boys.

We were conscious in our effort to pass on some of life’s lessons, allowing them to experience new things, not trying to change them but opening their minds to choices and options in life. They took home stories to tell of their time and experiences with Aunt Anna and Uncle Paul. Through the years we have seen them blossom into mature and wonderful young men.

The Spring Breaks with us lessened, during their college years, as they explored new experiences with their friends. They began careers, post-college, working in corporate America, without Spring Breaks and with limited vacation time. In the recent five years, they have visited only once at Spring Break. We re-connected during my IU Spring Break two years ago. It was a rewarding and rejuvenating time together.

This tradition is changing and disappearing as Hugh and John take on new commitments and families of their own. We hope the memories of our times together will be lasting, good memories, and hopefully someday they will pass this tradition to special people in their life.

A Tradition Increasing in Importance

My husband and I, married 23 years, enjoy the visual arts and have been art collectors during this time. Our love of art has inspired us to travel, to see exotic places. Initially, our trips were infrequent, increasing to alternating years, as we juggled life, work, home and family. Our enthusiasm increased and we strived to travel internationally every year.

In recent years, we feel an escalating sense of urgency to explore the world we have not seen. The world is large and our wish list for travel is a long one. We enjoy traveling together, seeing other cultures, and learning each country’s art, architecture, history and customs. Our intensity increases as our age increases. We want to see the world together, so time is of the essence.

A Tradition I Originated

My mother’s family was a large one and there were many family reunions growing up. My mother normally instigated the reunions. The get-togethers were an opportunity for the sixteen cousins to re-connect, play and enjoy each other which created memorable times. As everyone grew up, went to college, started families, and as our mothers and fathers died, the reunions stopped. New nuclear families formed.

In 1997, I moved back to my home state of Texas. I instigated a Cousins Reunion between Christmas and New Year’s at my new home that year. It was the first time we were all together in over thirty years. The party was a huge success, exploring past memories and catching up. We unanimously agreed to do this again. I have continued the reunions each year. They have grown in popularity and expanded as Aunts or Uncles joined in, reminiscent of our past reunions. Staying connected to family is important. My Mother knew this, and subliminally passed it on to me.

This blog entry is my response to the Chapter Three Reflection Question.

2 comments:

Jason Baird Jackson said...

Nice job.

Ian said...

I really enjoyed your post, and I used it for my Peer-Review 2. You can read the review in my blog.

http://blogonaughts.blogspot.com/